Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nepali Milk Tea

Well, first of all, this picture is not of any milk tea that I have made but it is the original tea that I drank in Nepal. I have yet to find a recipe that 'transports' me back to Nepal so to speak. Although the recipes are good, it just isn't the same as authentic milk tea.

Anywho, for our church's mission banquet, I made some spring rolls and milk tea. So here is the recipe for the milk tea.

I'll try and have the spring rolls up soon.









Nepali Spiced Tea OR as I and other Nepalese like to call it ~ Milk Tea.

3 tablespoons black tea leaves (or 3 tea bags)     (I used Masala tea leaves that I bought in Nepal. I might have used a little more than 3 (well I did make a double batch so maybe I used 7 tbsp in total)
5 cups boiling water
1 1/4 cups milk, heated
1/3-2/3 cup sugar
4 whole cloves
2 -3 cardamom pods, cracked open (or 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom)
1 cinnamon stick  (or 1tsp of ground cinnamon)

Directions:

1
Steep tea in boiling water.
2
Add milk, sugar, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick.
3
Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
4
Strain and serve hot.




3 comments:

  1. Hello :) I also went to Nepal back in March of last year. The milk tea they served every morning was probably one of my favorite things about my trip. I brought back some masala spiced black tea, as well as chai tea spice. I ran out a few months back, so I learned how to make my own spice blend. I drink it every morning and look out on the prayer flags hanging on my deck and it definitely transports me back to my mornings in Nepal :) I don't readily have a copy of my recipe on me right now, but if you would like it just let me know and I'd be happy to share it with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Ooh my goodness, how I miss their milk tea! I drank soo much of it! Haha.
      I just recently bought some black tea and have been meaning to try this recipe out again using that instead of what I brought with me from Nepal.
      I'd love to see your recipe!
      I'm hoping to return next summer (2015). Fingers crossed!

      Delete